All the things you never wanted to know...

Some of the ramblings of the thoughts I have about nothing in particular........:-)

Monday, August 07, 2006

Weird Hobbies

Do you ever wonder why people have weird hobbies? I'm not trying to make some sort of profound point out of this, I was just wondering if you have ever looked at something someone else really enjoyed collecting and went, "huh, well that's weird." I have this happen to me quite often and quite frankly I don't understand it.

I am an avid collector of print socks. And I am not ashamed to admit it either. I have not counted all of the pairs of socks I own, but I do know that they don't all fit in my sock drawer if they are all clean. Recently an aquaintance of mine made the comment, "so what do you do when you are wearing sandals, keep a pair of socks in your purse?" I think he was doing it to be obnoxious, but I don't care because I am not one to get my feelings hurt over something that petty. And the reason his remark did not bother me is simple....I love my socks. They are the one thing that I can were on a daily basis that does not have to be bound by the rules of fashion. My socks do not have to match my outfit. I can wear watermelon socks with brown pinstrip pants and no one can tell me that I am not coordinated. Not only that, but it makes me happy to know that I am wearing at leat one article of clothing that allows me to express my creativity without absurdly drawing attention to myself. Oh and I have enough socks so that I only have to do sock laundry maybe three or four times a year. For someone who hates doing laundry as much as I do, I consider that to be a good thing.

There are a lot of people out there who have crazier hobbies than collecting socks. Some people people collect rocks, some people collect furniature, and there are even people who collect body parts from their victims (you know who you are). So before you look at me like I am a sock freak from Mars, examine your own weird hobbies and embrace them. Once you do you will finally be able to embrace them in others. :-)

2 Comments:

Blogger coiledrose said...

You need to sign up for Sock Collectors Anonymous...

4:20 PM  
Blogger Sakura said...

Hi there! My best friend have this cool site called Contest Wonderland!! http://www.freewebs.com/contestwthat currently has a competition of wierd hobbies. maybe u wuld like to check it out???Thanx for ur time!

10:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home